Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ubuntu, err I mean I buntu

On my way to know and get a taste of Ubuntu, I've been trying to install Ubuntu 6.06 Server Edition LTS in latest Vmware Server, with no luck. After installation, it stuck at "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel". After googling here and there, there were some issues(dated back in 2006) about the Ubuntu 386 architecture kernel compatibility with the vmware server and also some notebooks. I used Dell Inspiron 510m with (only) 512MB and Intel Pentium M 1.6 GHz. There's a workaround back then, requires me to upgrade the kernel to 686 arch but I think it is already using the 686, or not. Moreover, the package linux-686(as suggested) is no longer exists.

#uname -a
Linux yoebuntu 2.6.15-26-386 #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:00 UTC i686 GNU/Linux

-s, --kernel-name print the kernel name
-n, --nodename print the network node hostname
-r, --kernel-release print the kernel release
-v, --kernel-version print the kernel version
-m, --machine print the machine hardware name
-p, --processor print the processor type
-i, --hardware-platform print the hardware platform
-o, --operating-system print the operating system

# uname -s
Linux
# uname -n
yoebuntu
# uname -r
2.6.15-26-386
# uname -v
#1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:00 UTC
# uname -m
i686
# uname -p
unknown
# uname -i
unknown
# uname -o
GNU/Linux

Seems like it cannot identify the processor and the platform. Searching the package using apt-cache also failed to find the kernel package. So, that's a sign to call it a day. I'll be back.

No comments: